Monday, June 27, 2011

The Perfect Words...

The perfect words, what does that mean to you?

This blog has been inspired by a blog I came across recently: insearchofperfect sentence.blogspot.com by Jan Tarasovic. I tried to insert the link but failed. So, do yourself a favour sometime soon, go over and take a look at her blog.

I've had a lifelong fascination with words. It always amazes me that there is no limit to the new and exciting our ideas ways we can use the same words which everyone understands (and can be translated for most of the rest of the world). Doesn’t it blow your mind that using the same words that all the great masters of writing have used, we can craft stories that can touch every human emotion.

A few well chosen words can bring a strong man to his knees, bring tears to the eyes of a hardened soul, or a smile to the face of the sad, make the heart of a loved one race, calm the panic-stricken or soothe a broken heart. Words are such a powerful sword in the hands of a mastercraftsman/woman. Comedians, playwrights, novelists, poets, do you dare to put yourself in their class?

On offer for one week I have two prizes.

Firstly, for your best-loved but not original sentence, I have a copy of “The Quotable Lover” edited by Nancy Butler.

The second, for a perfect original sentence of your own writing, is a critique, edit and/or proofread by my humble self for ten pages of your own work.

Looking forward to your comments.

Zoe Y

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zoe

    For my best-love sentence it would be:

    Alby stared at him. "You just fell into a chasm with a guy who was trying to kill everyone in the whole world and your scared of my mom"

    Matthew Reilly - The Five Greatest Warriors.

    For my original sentence "Theoretically this should work but practically, that is a whole other ball game"

    Melita

    ReplyDelete